Grub -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 20 21:45:09 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 03:16 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> Assuming the firmware is BIOS and not UEFI…
>
> In the Fedora 20 installer, if you chose to not install a bootloader, core.img isn't created so it doesn't exist. If you're going to hand write the grub.conf by using GRUB 0.98 in CentOS, then write the entry to point grub to the actual Fedora 20 kernel and initramfs rather than chainloading. But if you really want to chainload, then you have to boot Fedora netinst or DVD in rescue mode, and install grub2 with this command:
>
> grub2-install --grub-setup=/bin/true /dev/sda
>
> That option causes grub2-install to only create core.img without overwriting the grub legacy code in the MBR and MBR gap.
>
> However, the best practices method is to allow Fedora 20 to stomp on the CentOS 6 grub, so that you have Grub2. And then either:
>
> a.) Use the grub2 default behavior that causes it to create an entry for Fedora and CentOS automatically, which then isn't automatically updated when you do CentOS kernel updates; you'd have to run grub2-mkconfig.
>
> b.) Disable the os-prober option in grub2, so that a CentOS entry isn't created automatically. Instead edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom to including a menu entry using the 'legacyconfigfile' command pointed to the CentOS grub.conf, and then do a one time grub2-mkconfig to write out a new grub.cfg, which will cause grub2 to read and display the CentOS grub.conf menu when chosen. This way, the Fedora grub.cfg and the CentOS grub.conf are properly updated automatically when kernel updates happen and is thus maintenance free once configured.
>

> Chris Murphy

You convinced me to bite the bullet and I did rm -fr * Fedora-20 and
reinstalled it and everything works again.

My problems began when I reinstalled  Fedora minus the LVM and found it
no longer offered the option to boot Centos. I messed with it and things
went from bad to worse ...

Now it offers both again and I have a conventional directory set up for
Fedora.

Thanks,

Bob

--