what just happened (time went backwards?)

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Tue Feb 25 21:25:20 UTC 2014

On 02/25/2014 07:58 PM, Dale Dellutri wrote:
> It didn't.  Systemd is in control, and /var/log/messages is no longer
> necessarily
> written in order.  You need to use journalctl to read the log for F20.

The syslog daemon writes whatever systemd sends to it. On one of my
systems systemd decided to send the whole systemd journal to the syslog
daemon, by doing so starting to write log lines from last year in my
/var/log/messages. Quite annoying... It also hogged 100% of the CPU.

But, when systemd behaves, /var/log/messages should be in order. And you
do not need journalctl to read the log (as long as you have syslogd
installed).

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>