AM/PM in Thunderbird -

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 10:43:47 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 14:07 +0600, g wrote:

> On 02/25/14 20:52, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> Not necessarily!
> >>
> >> 1) Finish thunderbird
> >> 2) Until the next logout:  . ~/.bashrc;thunderbird
> >>
> >> No logout needed :-)
> >
> > This is consistent with what I said. You're executing a new instance
> > of TB from the Shell you modified with new external variables.
> >
> > You could also do:
> >
> > VARIABLE1=value1 VARIABLE2=value2 ... thunderbird
> >
> > without having to invoke a new Shell. Same effect.
> >
> > poc
>
> ok, all.

I've a feeling we're talking at cross purposes, but here goes:

> now that the s/n has dropped, and i have finished playing with
> '.bashrc', 'alias', and a script file, i submit the following.

Don't know what "s/n" means, but never mind.

> the command that i suggested is what i use when i am in 'init
> level 1' to reactivate ".bashrc". i also use it in 'level 3',
> and 'level 5'.

Irrelevant. When a process changes an environment variable and exports
it, it means it's inherited by all descendants of that process. The
various Shells provide a handy syntax for this, but the principle
applies to all processes including init.

> when i am at either of those levels and i open a new terminal, if
> i have made a change to ".bashrc", changes are present, just like
> they are if i open a new terminal in 'level 3' or in 'level 5'.
> [i am not dropping down to 'level 1' just to test.]

Of course, see above.

> what i did do, while at 'level 5', is i edited ".bashrc" to add
> a couple of 'alias' lines, and wrote a script file for alias files.
>
> while using kde, i ran test of following and it all works as noted
> below.
>
> i keep 6 terminals running in kde, i do not close them when i
> end kde.

What do you mean you don't close them? KDE closes them when you
terminate the session. You'd have to take special measures to prevent
this and I'm not sure it's even possible to do in a sensible way (i.e.
retaining some way to access the terminal after KDE closes).

> in each of the terminals, i have at least 2 tabs open. in each
> terminal, when in right most tab, everything works fine. for some
> reason, that i did not bother to figure out why, it does not work
> in other tabs.

Can't think of a reason for that offhand, other than some kind of script
bug. Each terminal consists of one konsole process and one or more
Shells (one per tab).

> if i open a new terminal after reactivating '.bashrc' the additions
> are active.

Obviously, see above (again).

> no logout and login is needed.

To be more precise: if you run KDE from a desktop manager (KDM, GDM,
whatever) then terminating KDE logs you out. If you run KDE by first
logging into a terminal and executing startkde then yes, you can
terminate the KDE session, fiddle with Shell variables, then run another
KDE session, so strictly speaking you haven't logged out and the new KDE
session will see the altered environment. However any terminals that
were running *within* the KDE session have been terminated and have to
be re-executed (with the now current environment) when you re-enter KDE.

poc