vncviewer

Tom Rivers tom at impact-crater.com
Wed Feb 26 21:43:39 UTC 2014

On 2/26/2014 16:25, Patrick Dupre wrote:
>> Can you telnet to the VNC port on the server?
> How I do it?

I'm not sure telnet is the way to go because if memory serves it isn't
installed by default.  The best way to check is to use a port scanner to
see the status of the port on the target system.  The tool I use is
called "nmap".  If you are using a Windows machine to vnc into the
target system, you can download nmap from here:

http://nmap.org/download.html

If you are using Fedora to vnc to the target, then you can see if nmap
is installed by running this as root from the command prompt:

yum info nmap

If it isn't installed, you can install it by using the following command:

yum install nmap

Once it is installed, you can run the following command on the source
system to see if the target system has the port open:

nmap -v -n -P0 -p5900-5910 192.168.1.10

Just substitute the IP address of your target system for the address
"192.168.1.10" in the example above.  A result of "closed" means the
port is being actively blocked and a message is being sent to tell you
that it is.  A result of "filtered" means that the port is not
responding to say whether it is open or not.  Once a result of "open"
means that you can access the service listening on the port.

I gave a range of 5900-5910 in the example above because you can
configure the vnc service to listen on a number of different ports. That
what the ":1" or ":2" mean when you set up the entries in the
/etc/sysconfig/vncserver file.  This also means that to connect to a vnc
server set up for ":2" on the example IP address above you need to use
"192.168.1.10:2" in the vncviewer and the nmap output from probing the
target system should show that port 5902 is open.

Let us know what you find.

Tom