vncviewer

Patrick Dupre pdupre at gmx.com
Wed Feb 26 21:49:38 UTC 2014

> >> Can you telnet to the VNC port on the server?
> > How I do it?
>
> I'm not sure telnet is the way to go because if memory serves it isn't
> installed by default. The best way to check is to use a port scanner to
> see the status of the port on the target system. The tool I use is
> called "nmap". If you are using a Windows machine to vnc into the
> target system, you can download nmap from here:
>
> http://nmap.org/download.html
>
> If you are using Fedora to vnc to the target, then you can see if nmap
> is installed by running this as root from the command prompt:
>
> yum info nmap
>
> If it isn't installed, you can install it by using the following command:
>
> yum install nmap
>
> Once it is installed, you can run the following command on the source
> system to see if the target system has the port open:
>
> nmap -v -n -P0 -p5900-5910 192.168.1.10
>
> Just substitute the IP address of your target system for the address
> "192.168.1.10" in the example above. A result of "closed" means the
> port is being actively blocked and a message is being sent to tell you
> that it is. A result of "filtered" means that the port is not
> responding to say whether it is open or not. Once a result of "open"
> means that you can access the service listening on the port.
>
> I gave a range of 5900-5910 in the example above because you can
> configure the vnc service to listen on a number of different ports. That
> what the ":1" or ":2" mean when you set up the entries in the
> /etc/sysconfig/vncserver file. This also means that to connect to a vnc
> server set up for ":2" on the example IP address above you need to use
> "192.168.1.10:2" in the vncviewer and the nmap output from probing the
> target system should show that port 5902 is open.

Starting Nmap 6.01 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-02-26 22:47 CET
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan at 22:47
Scanning 193.49.194.19 [4 ports]
Completed SYN Stealth Scan at 22:47, 3.01s elapsed (4 total ports)
Nmap scan report for 193.49.194.19
Host is up.
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
5900/tcp filtered vnc
5901/tcp filtered vnc-1
5902/tcp filtered vnc-2
5903/tcp filtered vnc-3

Read data files from: /usr/bin/../share/nmap
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 3.08 seconds
           Raw packets sent: 8 (352B) | Rcvd: 11 (764B)

 Patrick DUPRÉ                                 | | email: pdupre at gmx.com
 Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie de l'Atmosphère | |
 Université du Littoral-Côte d'Opale           | |
 Tel.  (33)-(0)3 28 23 76 12                   | | Fax: 03 28 65 82 44
 189A, avenue Maurice Schumann                 | | 59140 Dunkerque, France