what just happened (time went backwards?)

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 11:58:49 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Feb 27, 2014, at 12:28 PM, Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se> wrote:
>
>> On 02/26/14 19:23, lee wrote:
>>> What is the purpose of this log duplication?  When systemd has its own
>>> logs, it doesn´t seem necessary to duplicate them by sending their
>>> contents to syslogd.
>>
>> One could also ask why systemd duplicates the logging formerly only done by syslogd.
>
> This has been answered many times already, it's an old argument.

It's an old argument because someone who is scared of the argument is
trying to define it away.

>[...]
>
> It's fine to want plain logs but that is a subset of the amount of information the journal can only
> retain with binary including checksumming so the logs can be verified, and universal time/date
> stamping that causes journalctl to report the even in local time even if the server is not local, the
> list of things that can be done are unlimited. So the superset log is a necessity in any case and
> if the plain text rsyslog is meeting your needs then why would you bother with journalctl at all?

Every time I see a defense of systemd and its spawn, I see this kind of bunk.

If information can be logged in binary form, it can be logged in human
readable form. It's just a matter of pushing the data through
appropriate filters, that's all.

The real problem with logs is what to retain and what to strip out.
And logs that can't be directly read by humans are not worth the
having. Nobody will read them until long after the bad things happened
and left the system corrupted.

Enforced universalism is the last thing we want computers for.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.