F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 1 04:46:19 UTC 2014

On 12/31/2013 11:10 PM, David Beveridge wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org> wrote:
>> On 30.12.2013, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> But which is the kindest to the system resources, sendmail or postfix?
>> Postfix, definitely.
>>
> exim uses even less.  If you just want local delivery, then any of
> these MTA's will work out of the box without config.
> I used sendmail for many years and postfix for much longer.  I now
> sometimes use exim.
> Once you want incoming mail then you need to read the docs and set them up.
> Exim is probably more configurable, but I'd say postfix can handle more load.

I need local delivery on my notebook, but not a lot.  Logwatch and cron
are all that I ever saw with my f17 install for a year+.  So I am
looking at what I can do for not using an MTA at all.  Looking in part
at what Lars was saying, what can be changed in the base install so that
these base utilities that are expected to use email, can at least do
local delivery as the default behaviour.

We have had a few discussions on cron.  So far I have done the procmail,
but I will probably change that to mailx.  For logwatch, I noticed that

mailer = "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t"

  is in the default conf, so I added an override of

mailer = "/usr/bin/mailx -t"

I am looking at going with the flow that a notebook should not need an
MTA, but there are services that are written to deliver their output via
mail, and local delivery is easy to set up.

I will continue to use mutt, for a while, but look at configuring
thunderbird to read in the local mail.  I suppose, to follow through, I
really should figure out how evolution can do this, but I always
uninstall it.