3G dongle getting detected as USB disk on Fedora 18

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 15:44:17 UTC 2014

On 01.01.2014 14:33, Soham Chakraborty wrote:
> Afternoon folks,
>
> I know that Fedora 18 is kinda obsolete but for a number of reasons, I have
> to stick to it for the time being. However, I am quite sure that this
> problem/behavior isn't restricted to F18. But since I am using that, ought
> to say that.
>
> So, here is the problem.
>
> I have a ZTE K3800 dongle which I use for wireless/3G connection, provided
> by Vodafone. When I plugin the device, it prompts to connect and works.
> Problem is, as soon as I connect, systemd sends a signal 15 to
> network-manager and the applet disappears from system tray. Therefore, if I
> try to configure VPN, I find no option. Note that, I am only trying to
> configure from the nm-applet.

kernel:
-3.11.10-100.fc18
-3.12.5-302.fc20

systemd:
-201-2.fc18.9
-208-9.fc20

usb_modeswitch:
-1.2.5-1.fc18
-1.2.7-3.fc20

usb_modeswitch-data:
-20121109-1.fc18
-20131113-1.fc20

ModemManager:
-0.6.2.0-1.fc18
-1.1.0-2.git20130913.fc20

NetworkManager:
-0.9.8.2-1.fc18
-0.9.9.0-22.git20131003.fc20

Reminder: Fedora 18 end of life on 2014-01-14
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2013-December/003189.html

Announcing the release of Fedora 20.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2013-December/003187.html

Each such device & firmware is a story in itself, so

/usr/share/doc/usb_modeswitch/
/usr/share/doc/usb_modeswitch-data/

USB_ModeSwitch
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

ModeSwitchForum
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/bb/

Development discussions about ModemManager
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/modemmanager-devel

NetworkManager discussions

When you talk to devs, always engage latest & greatest - Rawhide. :)
Good look.

poma