Reverse E-Mail Blockage.....

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Wed Jan 1 19:36:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 02:06:41PM -0500, David wrote:
> Like all spam filters, that I know of, you have to train it. You have to
> mark emails as spam that you consider spam.

Yep.

> Spam Assassin would be the same way I would think. I do not know of any
> spam filter program that already knows what email that *you* consider to
> be spam. Like virus scanners they look for patterns.

Yes.  It learns pretty quickly; feed it the "probably spam" and "almost
certainly" spam files at first; eventually all you'll have to add is what
has slipped through.

If you don't want to get into system-wide spam scanning, and/or don't want
to get into the complexities of Spam Assassin, you can get a pretty good
Baysean filter with PopFILE for Linux.

> As for TBird message filters. Those are designed to move messages that
> you want from your inbox to various folders. This message, for me, goes
> to   <account_name>/Inbox/Fedora/Users

You often use the message filter in conjunction with your anti-spam
solution--e.g., for PopFILE, have it modify the Subject line to include the
string "[spam]", and then filter on that.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com