F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 22:30:02 UTC 2014

Hi

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:

> On 12/31/2013 10:20 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> Your proposal is irrelevant when we are talking about current reality.
>>

> No it is by no means not. By implementing my proposal this mail is not
> lost (as Lennart Poettering stated it in the devel list) by ending up in
> /var/spool/mail. If included in the installation process of Fedora, perhaps
> also mentioning that the user should/could set up their mail client to read
> spool mail, these message will definitely not be lost.

You are again missing the point that when evaluating changes, you can't do
so against a hypothesized change that noone is working on.  You will have
to evaluate it against status quo vs someone willing to do the work
involved.  You are not volunteering to work on what you are proposing so it
wouldn't get done unless someone else buys into your ideas and so far noone
has.  You haven't considered all the different use cases which makes it
very difficult to make any meaningful decisions during installation time.
I won't list them but one quick example:  Anaconda doesn't require you to
create a user at installation time. Instead you can do so during
initial-setup time and that user may not be a local user at all.  The
current design of the installer is to do the minimum needed during
installation time and your proposal doesn't fit with that model either.

>> As always that depends on the use case (see at the end)

I said common use cases.  If you have to fallback to using grep, so be it
but what journalctl offers is a supset of what traditional syslog daemons
offer for a local user.  That is undisputed.  Unfiled bugs doesn't
fundamentally change that although if you find any, you can file them and
get the transition to be smoother.

Rahul