F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Thu Jan 2 01:51:42 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 02:31 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Why?  Non technical users don't care about daemons.  They are not
> expected to baby sit daemons or diagnose problems with them.   What
> specifically did you expect is important enough in there?  Show me an
> example

Why? For the same reason we have notifications.

OK, one example:

A user might install yum-cron to update the system. It could be nice to
know about errors leading to yum not updating the system.

At the moment I get the following from my yum-cron (due to this yum is
not updating):

/etc/cron.hourly/0yum-hourly.cron:

Traceback (most recent call last):
[ ... a lot of trace lines removed ...]
yum.Errors.NoMoreMirrorsRepoError: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from
fedora-chromium-stable: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/spot/chromium-stable/fedora-20/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found

>      > None of this will become part of the default workflow.
>
>     Sorry. I do not follow you here. I am not sure what you mean.
>

> The default workflow of the installer does not mandate creating a non
> root user

Yes. And in my proposal, described earlier, that use case is taken care
of (either everything will be as it has been for years, i.e.
/etc/aliases is intact and the mail end up in mail to root, or you can
chose to send it to a remote user)

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>