F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 02:39:58 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 02:25:01AM +0100, Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
> On 01/02/2014 02:17 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >Yes but non technical users wouldn't care to navigate the UI you are
> >proposing either.   The entire proposal only satisfies a very small
> >small niche for users receiving root mail and want to control exactly
> >how they get it during installation itself.
>
> Why would they not care? The UI will make them aware of something they
> probably is not aware of. I can not see that lost emails is a good thing.
> Better to make the user aware of that that mail exist, and make it easy for
> them to receive it.

I'm sorry but I do not see the reasoning behind the assumption:
non-technical implies "we need to protect them from good practice".
What does removing an MTA (IOW system mail) serve?  If the argument is
saving resources, then one could counter argue a non-technical user is
less likely to care about "saving system resources".

More to the point, I find it counter productive to _remove_ important
debugging resources/tools irrespective of the technical proficiency of
the user of the system.  I outlined my issue in this post:

<https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-December/444436.html>

Anyone care to comment on this?

--
Suvayu