Fedora 20 Problems on Dell XPS 41z

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 09:26:32 UTC 2014

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a really happy email about how well
the upgrade from F19 to F20 had gone on my laptop. Now, I'm not so
happy. There are two problems that are close to being deal-breakers
for me.

1/ The laptop doesn't wake from suspension

I close my laptop and it goes to sleep. When I open it, I expect it to
wake up again. This has worked well on every laptop I've owned on
every version of Fedora, until now. Now when I open the laptop, I'm
just presented with a small Fedora logo in the middle of the screen.
And all I can do is restart the laptop.

2/ Wifi is really flaky

Wifi has become a bit of a lottery. It's just not solid enough to rely
on. Every so often it just stops working. The icon in the notification
bar doesn't change, I just lose all connectivity. The only solution
I've found is to turn the wireless off and back on again. But it can
take five or six attempts for the wifi to reconnect. And when it does
reconnect, half of the time it will drop again within minutes. The
rest of the time I'll get a pretty solid connection that will work for
a few hours before it drops and I have to go though the same cycle
again.

This was starting to be a problem before I upgraded. But Fedora 20 has
made it far worse. Booting the laptop into Windows gives me a
rock-solid connection. And my desktop (also connecting wirelessly and
running Fedora 20) seems far more reliable. It's just the wifi driver
in the laptop that's a problem.

I realise that I haven't given you enough to go on here, but these
kinds of problems are well outside my Linux experience. Tell me what
diagnostics will we helpful and I'll provide them.

Cheers,

Dave...

Dave Cross :: dave at dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/