announcement --- planned Yum replacement now ready for user testing

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu Jan 2 13:01:20 UTC 2014

On 2. 1. 2014 at 13:32:23, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Ales Kozumplik wrote:
> > On behalf of the DNF team I'd like to invite all the interested Fedora
> > users in trying out and testing DNF in Fedora 20. DNF is a tool that
> > aims to fully replace Yum by Fedora 22.
>
> Yum works perfectly well, in my experience.
> The problems you discuss are never met by the average user (like me),
> who simply use "yum update" and "yum install".
>
> By all means introduce an alternative,
> but please leave yum for those who are satisfied with it.
> Not another grub2, please.

It's actually going to be the other way around - yum will be an alternative to
dnf. The thing is that yum will soon enter maintenance mode - most of the
planned new features will happen in dnf, not in yum.

At this point I will repeat that dnf is based on the original yum code so for
vast majority of users the change will not be noticeable and everything will
continue to work the same.

Thanks
Jan