F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Thu Jan 2 19:09:08 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 07:52 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2014, at 5:34 AM, Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se> wrote:
>> Important mail to/from root is not an "edge case".
>
> So important that by default root isn't informed of these messages?

Huh?

> With sendmail I was not informed of any such messages when logging in as root. Without sendmail, there's been no change in behavior at all. So what am I missing, exactly? How am I missing it?

Log in as root, write mail, press enter, there you go.

How you miss it?

With an MTA mail is delivered to root until you change /etc/aliases. To
read roots mail you have to login as root and run a mail client. With a
change of the aliases file you can chose to deliver root mail to a user,
on the current system, another system, or a combination of these. The
mail is read using a mail client.

Without an MTA these mails are totally lost, they do not appear in
/var/spool/mail/root, nor any other user, they are never deliver, and
thereby lost.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>