F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Thu Jan 2 22:42:42 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 11:31 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Yes, all critical notifications are supposed to stay persistent.  That
> is the right model to alert desktop users about anything relevant enough
> to bother them with.   Not emails.

Works OK on a desktop, but how is the home server use case, where the
user is not logged in on the computer, supposed to be handled?

Regarding emails. I still have not gotten any response from anyone on
how to handle the output from, as an example, cron, logwatch, etc.
Hopefully someone could tell how that is supposed top be taken care of
now that the MTA is removed. That would involve both adding to the
journal, and notify the user, and/or other actions. Shouldn't that have
been addressed *before* removing the MTA?

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/