F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 01:51:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> Sendmail was taking up space on the install media, on users computers, for no
> benefit for the vast majority of users. I don't know how many times this has to
> be said - look at the number of unique individuals involved in the conversation
> in this thread? It's less than a dozen. So we're talking thousands of users, and
> less than 12 give a crap whether an MTA is installed by default or not. It's
> really close to zero people care about it.

I'd go further than that. It's not that just that people don't care,
they wouldn't want to receive any emails from their computers.

If I set up a system for any person I know who isn't a sysadmin to
receive local cron mail via thunderbird, they'd have nothing good to
say to me or about me for quite a while...