F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 03:05:42 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 01:37:28PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2014, at 1:03 PM, "Lars E. Pettersson" <lars at homer.se> wrote:
>
> > On 01/02/2014 08:45 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >
> >> Really? In the whole world of computing you don't see this is a
> >> tiny tiny minority use case? It's so small it's not even really an
> >> edge case, it fell off the edge years ago. Even if we look at just
> >> linux derived systems, no Android system even has root enabled by
> >> default, let alone an MTA. It has a modern way of informing me of
> >> problems rather than sending me useless spam, without notifications
> >> of such.
> >
> > No, loosing important mails is not a minority use case.
>
> Clearly it is. Most users don't know about this behavior. And it's
> also not done at all on iOS, Android, Windows, OS X. And it's highly
> questionable on desktop linux whether it's done or even needed.

I do not understand your comparison with iOS, OS X, Windows, etc.  We
are not in a race with any of them.  We simply want an operating system
that is free (open) and lets us be in control of our computing needs.
See the 4 `f's in <http://fedoraproject.org/en/about-fedora>.  None of
them mention anything about comparisons with other operating systems.
Please do not fall into that hole; if I wanted either of those, I would
use them, not Fedora.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu