NetworkManager

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 3 05:03:08 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 06:51 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/03/14 05:25, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > The problem, for me at least, with KDE's "kde-plasma-nm" is
> > that it doesn't work, whereas Gnome's "network-manager-applet" works
> > perfectly.  I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to get a laptop
> > on which I had just installed a KDE Fedora Spin to connect to my home
> > network, using "kde-plasma-nm".  No connection and no indication of what
> > the problem could be, though it's possible that I just did something
> > really stupid like not being finding the "Connect" button or whatever.
> > Network-manager-applet worked perfectly on the first try; I didn't even
> > have to enter the hot spot info, which was available from data that I
> > had entered into NetworkManager using "kde-plasma-nm".  Any advice about
> > how to use "kde-plasma-nm" or what might be wrong with it is earnestly
>
> I tested just now and I had no real trouble with it.  I don't have a
> laptop.  I used a VBox VM and a USB WiFi dongle.
>
> 1.  Plugged in the dongle and connected it to the VM.
> 2.  Clicked on the network icon in the systray, no changes.  Clicked
> to close and waited 5 or so seconds and clicked again.
> 3.  Several Access points listed under "Unknown Connection".
> 4.  Clicked on my home AP and a password prompt and a few check-boxes
> were available.  The one thing I didn't like was you could click on
> the wrench in the upper right but when you did the next display showed
> information about the connection but the "Edit Connection" button was
> grayed out.
> 5.  Entered password and got connected after a few seconds.
> 6.  I now could go back and click on the wrench and "Edit Connection"
> as I want.  I find it odd that I would have to allow a connection to
> fail with default settings before being allowed to edit it when I know
> the defaults wouldn't be successful.

Pretty much the same as what I did, except that I have a hidden network,
so I had to enter its name.  Now that I have connected once using
network-manager-applet, kde-plasma-nm appears to work properly; when I
click on the network identifier, I see a "Connect" button, which
connects.  So further investigation will not be easy.  Foo!  Thanks for
your help.