NetworkManager

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Fri Jan 3 11:04:43 UTC 2014

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> The confusion arises from using NM to refer to anything other than the
> daemon.  NetworkManager is the name of only the daemon.   It has frontends
> in various desktop environments that have their own names.  If you have
> problems with them, refer to them by the appropriate name such as KDE
> Plasma NM or GNOME NM so we know that you are talking about issues with
> the
> specific frontend.

You are right, of course.
I did say that I was running Fedora-20/KDE on my laptop,
and all the remarks I made referred to the KDE interface to NM.
I assume this is KDE Plasma NM, although the only plasma process
I see in "ps aux" is plasma-desktop.

I don't know how one can tell what application
provides a particular icon or window?

Also, I'm not sure if I could run Gnome's NM-applet with KDE?
I tried installing network-manager-applet, which I take to be Gnome's,
and gave the command nm-applet, which did provide a second NM applet.
This is an improvement on the KDE NM applet,
but it does not give me the information the old KDE applet used to,
eg a mini-map with available access-points on it
and information on one of these when one clicks on it.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net