announcement --- planned Yum replacement now ready for user testing

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 12:33:14 UTC 2014

Hi

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> That would imply that someone actually took the decision to *remove* the
> protections against leaving the system with no installed kernel. Was this
> discussed? What were the proposers smoking?

I don't think that is implied here.  dnf changes the very core element of
yum which is the custom dependency resolving logic and replaces it with
libsolv while retaining nearly all the core command line options and
configurations.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DNF

So, it is just that all the yum features are not rewritten to work against
this fairly invasive change.  Note that dnf was originally introduced in
Fedora 18 and is proposed to become default only by Fedora 22 so there is
a  large amount of time that it has gone through testing and user feedback
and still about an year left.  So it is good to get your opinions in
earlier by testing it now if you haven't done so already

Rahul