akmod isn't reliable

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 13:48:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 6:09 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Allegedly, on or about 02 January 2014, Richard Shaw sent:
> > It's really designed for people who are running
> > modified/custom kernels
>
> That's news to me.  Never seen that mentioned before.  And I can't
> remember how many years ago I started using akmods, possibly Fedora 11,
> with the default kernels, and never noticed a problem.

If you're running stock kernels then you can just use the kmod packages.
Because they (Fedora and RPM Fusion) are on totally different
infrastructures there is sometimes a delay between the kernel being updated
and the kmod package being updated which is one reason some people run the
akmod package, but that's usually taken care of within a couple of days.
This just requires you to pay attention and not attempt to boot the new
kernel until the kmod package gets installed.

Richard