akmod isn't reliable

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Jan 3 13:55:16 UTC 2014

On 01/03/14 21:46, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com <mailto:vvmarko at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 21:48:32 +0000
>     "Powell, Michael" <Michael_Powell at mentor.com <mailto:Michael_Powell at mentor.com>> wrote:
>
>     > I guess this is more of a general question, but sometimes after
>     > updating the kernel or nvidia drivers an akmod isn't regenerated and
>     > my system will begin to boot, fedora logo will show, but eventually
>     > it will dump to the systemd log of services being started and just
>     > sit there. I have all the required dependencies before the update
>     > because I can simply reboot to runlevel 1 or if I have an older
>     > kernel boot it and then manually `akmods --kernels`.
>     >
>     > So the question is... why isn't regeneration of the akmod reliable?
>
>     I think it is reliable, you just need to wait it out. The rebuilding of
>     akmod is being done for a given kernel while that kernel is running, so
>     when you update the kernel, the akmod doesn't get built until you boot
>     into it. And when you boot into it, systemd will at some point try to
>     activate the akmod, find out that it doesn't exist, fail, and initiate
>     a rebuild.
>

> Well, that's partially true. akmods also tries to build the module after kernel installation using the kernel posttrans trigger or something like that, there's a special directory where you can put script which will be run after a kernel is installed. DKMS uses the same method. There is where it SHOULD happen. The problem is that it's totally non-interactive and there's no notification to use user if it fails...
>
> It also attempts to build kernel modules on startup AND shutdown. So there is more or less 3 attempts. The problem is if it fails one of them it will usually fail all of them.

FWIW, the only reason I use akmods is for installation of the nvidia module when a new kernel is available.  I don't do auto updates so I simply check /var/cache/akmods/akmods.log to make sure I see something similar to....

22 Dec 10:05:25 akmods: Checking kmods exist for 3.12.5-200.fc19.x86_64
22 Dec 10:05:26 akmods: Building and installing nvidia-304xx-kmod
22 Dec 10:05:26 akmods: Building RPM using the command '/bin/akmodsbuild --target x86_64 --kernels 3.12.5-200.fc19.x86_64 /usr/src/akmods/nvidia-304xx-kmod.latest'
22 Dec 10:05:43 akmods: Installing newly built rpms
22 Dec 10:05:52 akmods: Successful.

is recorded when a new kernel is installed.
--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts