since F20 update, cron has stopped sending mail

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Fri Jan 3 16:25:26 UTC 2014

On 01/03/2014 09:13 AM, Steven Stern wrote:
> With F19, I got email from cron on all jobs that produced output.  I no
> longer get those mails after upgrading to F20. I have verified that the
> jobs are run.  There are no entries in /var/log/maillog for them.  Other
> system tasks, not run through cron, send their emails as usual.
>
> crontab has a "Mail to" line in it:
>
> SHELL=/bin/bash
> PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> MAILTO=root
>
> Any idea what I need to do to get my cron email restored?

OK, this is getting weirder.

I created a cron job:
*/5 * * * * touch /tmp/cron-test; echo "cron test: " `date`

I stopped cron, deleted /var/log/cron*, created an empty /var/log/cron
and restarted it

Every 5 minutes, the timestamp on /tmp/cron-test is updated, BUT (1) I
don't get any email from cron with the stuff echoed and (2) nothing is
going into /var/log/cron. The file has not been touched.

So it appears that (1) cron jobs are running, but cron is no longer
logging the fact and (2) output from jobs the are supposed to produce
output is being lost.

--
-- Steve