F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 19:32:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se> wrote:
> On 01/03/2014 12:01 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F20_release_announcement#No_Default_Sendmail.2C_Syslog
>
> Rahul, as long as we have applications that do send mail, we need an MTA to
> take care of these mails, or else they are totally lost. Or at least let
> those applications have a requirement of a MTA so that the MTA is installed
> when those applications are installed on the system.

The point that Chris has made is that these messages were already lost
for most users because they didn't actually exist.

FESCO has to consider the use-case of the majority of Fedora users and
it decided that they don't need an MTA by default.

And, as has been said many times already, those who want an MTA,
_understand_its_purpose_,_and_use_the_features_that_it_provides_ can
install one.