F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 20:31:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 07:27:05PM +0000, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:05 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 01:37:28PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >>
> >> Clearly it is. Most users don't know about this behavior. And it's
> >> also not done at all on iOS, Android, Windows, OS X. And it's highly
> >> questionable on desktop linux whether it's done or even needed.
> >
> > I do not understand your comparison with iOS, OS X, Windows, etc. We
> > are not in a race with any of them. We simply want an operating system
> > that is free (open) and lets us be in control of our computing needs.
>
> It's a question of looking at what others in this space are doing and
> evaluating whether their features are appropriate for Fedora and what
> their users are used and expect. Fedora users (and Linux users in
> general) most probably use Windows or OS X at work and own an Android
> or iOS phone, so diverging from them, especially when it comes to some
> geeky log retrieval mechanism, isn't in the best interest of Fedora.

Why do they have to be the same?  If I wanted what either of those OSes
offer, I would be using them, not Fedora.  I do not understand why my
choices have to be minor variations of each other instead of distinctly
different based on needs.

For work, I use Fedora & Scientific Linux.  I mostly use Fedora for
personal needs; except when I want to play some specific games, I use
Windows.  And I own an old Android phone.

These are distinct tasks with different needs, where is the need for
them to be variations of each other?

--
Suvayu