F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Fri Jan 3 23:26:21 UTC 2014

On 01/03/2014 09:56 PM, Pete Travis wrote:
>  > > $ journalctl SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER=CROND -f  #filtered for convenience
>  >
>  > How do you know which IDENTIFIER to use?  I could guess it should be
>  > CROND if I were to look at the output of journalctl in this case; but is
>  > there any canonical way to find this out?  Or is it just the unit file
>  > name?
>
> I picked that by looking at the messages and pairing up the identifier
> with my messages. It's reasonable to assume this will be consistent for
> cron jobs, so I didn't demonstrate that part.

It should perhaps be added that jounralctl has auto completion. Write
jounralctl and press tab twice to see what you can use, type 'journalctl
SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER=' and press tab twice, and you can see what to use there.

With auto completion I see crond, CROND, and crontab. (None of these
will give me the output from cron by the way.) What is the difference
between crond and CROND?

> `journalctl -o verbose' gives the extra metadata. There are other output
> formats, ie json, but this seemed most useful here.

Thanks, that answered my question in the earlier mail from me.

> key.  There is a section in the System Administrators Guide on the
> journal, which I will probably update this weekend since the usage is
> newly fresh in my mind.  It won't be published for f20 immediately, but
> I can push a draft if anyone is interested in reviewing. (Hint, readers,
> speak up, or I won't do the extra work)

OK, count me in... Could be a good way to get to know that system a bit
better.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>