F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Jan 4 01:10:08 UTC 2014

On Jan 3, 2014, at 12:27 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:05 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 02, 2014 at 01:37:28PM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> Clearly it is. Most users don't know about this behavior. And it's
>>> also not done at all on iOS, Android, Windows, OS X. And it's highly
>>> questionable on desktop linux whether it's done or even needed.
>>
>> I do not understand your comparison with iOS, OS X, Windows, etc. We
>> are not in a race with any of them. We simply want an operating system
>> that is free (open) and lets us be in control of our computing needs.
>
> It's a question of looking at what others in this space are doing and
> evaluating whether their features are appropriate for Fedora and what
> their users are used and expect.

Exactly, it's about expectations. As an alternative OS, Fedora simply cannot depend on some 30 year old archaic user hostile way of unsuccessfully "delivering" supposedly important system messages. It's just absurd. And that cannot be fixed by somehow figuring out a way to get those emails delivered because it's a hideous way of notification anyway. I wouldn't want it to work. When I talk about the majority, I mean literally everyone using some kind of computing device.

> Fedora users (and Linux users in
> general) most probably use Windows or OS X at work and own an Android
> or iOS phone, so diverging from them, especially when it comes to some
> geeky log retrieval mechanism, isn't in the best interest of Fedora.

Right, I don't know why this needs explaining, but thanks for doing it.

Chris Murphy