suspend or hibernate

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 4 12:48:38 UTC 2014

Allegedly, on or about 03 January 2014, Richard Vickery sent:
> Then the question is: How do you boot up from suspend - is there a
> special way to boot up after this command to continue working with the
> data?

Are you asking if I'm doing it wrong, or generally asking how to wake up
the computer?  In my case, the BIOS is set to wake up when something on
the keyboard is pressed.

Some computers need you to set a motherboard jumper, so that power is
always supplied to the USB port that the keyboard is connected to (so it
still works when the computer is suspended and/or off), others always
supply power to the USB ports (or some of them), some never supply power
to the USB ports (when suspended and/or off), so you need a PS/2
keyboard to be able to wake them up.

Other options can be to press the power button, but that depends on the
PC (some will wake up, some will screw up).  And there may be other
wake-up options in the BIOS - such as wake-up via a code sent to the
ethernet port, click the mouse buttons, nudge the mouse.  I had one PC
that would wake up if you bumped the mouse, it was a nuisance when doing
other things on the same desk as the computer.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

public lists.