fedup experience for upgrading fedora 19 to fedora 20

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Jan 4 19:48:42 UTC 2014

On Jan 4, 2014, at 9:42 AM, Rafnews <raf.news at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after several days of testing upgrading Fedora 19 to fedora 20, i face the same issue.
>
> whatever Virtual machine i use (Virtualbox or VMware Workstation) the result is always the same... after upgrading the virtual machine turns into a black/blank screen and nothing can be done.
>
> it doesn't machine if i install or not virtualbox tools (or vmware toold) it's the same results.
> Here are the basic features of my virtual machine
> 	• 1 CPU / 2cores,
> 	• 4GB RAM
> 	• 128MB Video
>
> to reproduce the issue:
> 1. launch VMWare Workstation 10 and install Fedora 19 x64 from DVD iso
> 2. as root, do a yum update to be sure fedora 19 is up to date
> 3. do a yum install fedup (to get latest version of fedup)
> 4. do a snapshot for fallback in case of...be sure you will need it
> 5. do a fedup --network 20
> 6. reboot after upgrade
> 7. ==> after booting via grub2, your virtual machine with turn into a blank screen :(
>
> the same issue with VirtualBox.
> after that i tried yum install fedora-release fedora-update but i get the same result.
>
> So anybody has an idea what is the problem ?

There isn't enough information. At the grub menu try removing 'rhgb quiet' from the linux boot parameters, and replacing with 'nomodeset' and see if you can at least see some text. If not then the next step is you need to figure out how to access the console from your VM. If you were using qemu-kvm this is done via 'virsh console <vmname>' so it should be simple in VMWare to figure out. What's not as obvious is you need additional changes to the grub menu entry's linux boot parameters line:

rd.debug systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=console console=ttyS0,38400

So you can type that into grub, and then connect to console first, then F10 in grub to boot. You want to try to connect before booting so that the console captures from the start of booting.

Chris Murphy