Stale /var/run/nologin

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jan 5 01:35:01 UTC 2014

About ten hours after a reboot, a chance attempt to log in back to the
server was rather rudely rejected with a:

System is booting up. See pam_nologin(8)
Connection closed by 192.168.0.2

A quick run back to the console revealed the existence of a ten hour old
/var/run/nologin file as the culprit. Removing it put everything back in
working order.

As far as I can tell, the system booted normally (well, normally for F20,
that is) so two questions remain. Anyone happen to know what's responsible
for creating the nologin file, and, more importantly, what's responsible for
removing it.

And on a related topic, am I the only one who thinks that having inn run
expire, during the system boot, and having the system boot wait for expire
to finish, is an incredibly stupid idea (that would refer to the "normally
for F20" part)?