F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun Jan 5 08:58:57 UTC 2014

On 01/04/2014 03:13 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2014, at 6:41 PM, "Lars E. Pettersson" <lars at homer.se> wrote:
>
>> On 01/04/2014 02:40 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>>> What I fail to follow is, why break the existing mechanism *before* we
>>> have these other future notification mechanisms ready?
>>
>> *Exactly*
>
> Please, SNMP has been around since 1988. Gnome has had a notification system for several years at least, probably longer.
Notifications do not belong into a GUI.

> If I did 10 minutes of research there are probably 1/2 dozen other notification systems out there, a few of which are reasonably mature.
>
> So how long do you want for your ancient email only sending program to modernize?

Why should any portable program support anything else but email?
Unlike many other notification systems, email has proven its long term
usability and applicability.

> They haven't picked an alternative by choice. And it is their choice to not do so. It is inappropriate for Fedora to sit on its laurels waiting for every program to modernize before it makes changes the benefit most users. And it's inappropriate for Fedora to dictate these programs use some other method of notification than email.
Correct, ... but later is what is happening.

> So *exactly* what are you two even talking about? Precisely how does waiting and doing NOTHING encourage program devs to change their notification methods?
May-be those devs have been satisfied with the situation and haven't
seen any need to switch?

> OH right, it doesn't do anything except enhance the stagnation and legitimize the non-working notification by email paradigm.
>
> Guess what? Presumably the programs that you use that only notify by email, do not modernize because their user base doesn't care for any other kind of notification system.
I could not disagree more. IMO, what currently is going on in Fedora, is
a campaign being led and conducted by inexperienced and wanna-be
system-integrators, who haven't understood how things have been working
for 20 years+.