F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Sun Jan 5 09:15:57 UTC 2014

On 01/05/2014 02:27 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I suspect it's used a ton more than an MTA. I enable sshd on all of my Macs and Fedora installs as one of the first things done. MTA? Never. Not configured even one time in 24 years.

Do you have any numbers on that (MTA vs. sshd)?

So sshd should stay because you use it, and the MTA should go because
you do not use it. I do not buy into that kind of logic.

Added to this, the MTA is used by some applications, removing the MTA
breaks the "notification" mechanism these applications use, i.e. mails.
Enabling or disabling sshd does not interfere with other applications
"notification" systems.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>