complete unattended install process for FC/Centos

bruce badouglas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 16:21:08 UTC 2014

Hi.

As a test, I want to have a complete remote/unattended install process
for a box.

The steps I'd like to have are:

1) ssh into the box, do a reboot.
2) the reboot process invokes an install process that installs the
    OS on the box
3) the install process uses http,  to get the external iso/packages
   required for the install

I've seen parts of this via pxeboot, but I'm dealing with older boxes
that might not have the nic card with pxe functionality.

I've seen parts of this as well, for systems that start with a cd, and
go from there...

I've seen parts of this that use the grub.conf mod, but it feeds back
to a vncserver, which isn't what I'm looking for..

I'm looking for a system, where, once the "kickstart"/install process
is defined, then it can then be used to do remote/unattended/complete
installs of the OS.

I was thinking that it should be doable to have the grub.conf stanza
that gets invoked on boot, to then instantiate the installation
process, but I can't quite get my head around how this can work.

If you have pointers to sites/articles, feel free to point me to
something I might have missed.

Thoughts/Comments are more than welcome.

Thanks