fedup experience for upgrading fedora 19 to fedora 20

Rafnews raf.news at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 13:38:07 UTC 2014

On 06.01.2014 10:09, Rafnews wrote:
> On 04.01.2014 20:59, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Jan 4, 2014, at 12:54 PM, Rafnews <raf.news at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> no i didn't have any issue with this menu system-upgrade
>>> basically after upgrade i even access to grub2 menu and also i see
>>> the fedora logo filling up from empty to white and at the end to
>>> shine and turn into colored fedora logo… and next blank/black screen :(
>> OK a blank screen isn't useful information and no one can help. So
>> what you have to do, is do things that cause information to be
>> revealed to find out what the problem is. The first and easiest way
>> to do that is at the grub menu, use e to edit the boot entry, scroll
>> to the end of the linux line, remove 'rhgb quiet' and add
>> 'nomodeset', without quotes, and then F10 to boot with those changes.
>> Now report what you see.
>>
>> Chris Murphy
> Hi Chris,
>
> as written previously, here it's what i read:
> http://prntscr.com/2gohfl
>
> and Xorg.0.log is:
> http://prntscr.com/2gpghx

to complete test:
1. i uninstall VMWare tools from my fedora 19 installation.
2. i reset video car to standard resolution 1024x768px
3. i remove sound card as stated in documentation on webpage
https://blogs.oracle.com/fatbloke/entry/moving_a_vmware_vm_to
4. i converted to ovf file using VMWare worstation 10 (now conversion
works in version 10)
5. import in VirtualBox
6. run the current imported virtual machine in VB...and fedora 19 works
great

7. i update fedup to v0.8.0.3 and run "fedup --network 20"
8. after installing, and reboot...i can see the grub but once again once
fedora logo is filled in to coloured logo (so it seems when X starts)
everything is blank/black and no way to do anything.

if i change the grub removing rgbh quiet by "nomodeset" and boot init to
3, i can log as root and everything works great...
if in text console i run startx, screen becomes blank/black as in normal
start.

So the problem is really with video settings however i don't know what
could be the problem :(

any help would be appreciated.
thx.