F20 - Unintended consequences of no default MTA - How best to fix

Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 19:28:15 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 6:37 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> It's obviously a matter of opinion, not fact, as evidenced by the lack of universal agreement by fairly reasonable people. I think email is such amazing piles of steaming poo that my happiness is inversely proportional to the number/rate of emails I'm getting. It simply does not scale well.

This is rich, coming from someone that uses the steaming pile of crap
that is gmail[1]. No wonder you have such a poor opinion of it. Email
is proven and reliable and scales fantastically well. That you don't
like it is incidental. As it happens, I'm OK with the removal of an
MTA from the default install. It's really not something most users
will need. However, in doing so, we *need* to be supplying something
that works as a suitable alternative for the real world scenarios that
have been mentioned. So far, I haven't seen any viable suggestions.
"Use systemd instead of cron" doesn't cut it. Also, the whole world is
not a single user desktop system. Sure, that may be the common case,
and we need a reliable notification system for that case. But we need
something that also works for my headless boxen and for my desktops
that don't run GNOME (that'd be all of them).

FWIW, yes I also run NFS.

Tet

[1] Yes, I do appreciate the irony that I'm posting this from gmail.
I'm at work, and we use it at work. I hate it, but it's what we have.

--
"Java is a DSL for taking large XML files and converting them to stack
traces" -- Bulat Shakirzyanov