Accessing a Samsung galaxy mini from Fedora 20 via USB.

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jan 7 19:19:12 UTC 2014

On Jan 7, 2014, at 9:38 AM, Andy Johnson <johnsonzjo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your answer.
>
>> Android 4 devices don't export a storage interface,
> I know, but this is a veteran mini galaxy, and I am sure that it *does* export
> a storage interface; when I am accessing it from windows with Kies, it
> prompts me to accept it as a storage device, as I mentioned in my
> post.

When Android is in normal operation, it's either MTP or PTP depending on the setting in USB Connections. By default it's MTP. If you unlock the bootloader and get into the debug mode, the device behaves differently and it's possible to access the individual logical block devices, but thus far I haven't found (or gone looking for) a way to access the partition table. In this mode, one or two of the "partitions" permits being reformatted, but this is done via SDK tools so only ext4 is permitted. You can't actually mount the file system as a block device. It's all done via a bridge - that was via ADB and fastboot when I was trying to truly blow away my phone by replacing with Google supplied images rather than OTA based updates.

Anyway, what are you trying to do?

Chris Murphy