F20 installation of Lenovo laptop crashes and kernel paramters

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Jan 7 21:35:01 UTC 2014

On 01/07/2014 08:01 AM, David Shwatrz wrote:
> After googling and trying, I added*only*  mem=4096m to
> "linux text"
> and installed successfully.
>
> I had also to add mem=4096m in grub.cfg as a kernel paramter. Without
> doing it the machine kept rebooting whenever starting it.

You don't say how much RAM you have.  If it's 4GB, you don't really need
x86_64; you can use a 32-bit system with a PAE kernel with up to (I
think.) 64GB.  I do know I'm using one on this box with 8GB with no
problems.  And, have you tried memtest86+?  I can't help but feel that
there might be a RAM stick going sour there.