firewall help

Sherman Grunewagen sugarwagon at zoho.com
Wed Jan 8 03:28:36 UTC 2014

I have a new Epson WF3540 printer/scanner that's on my LAN.
Printing works.  I downloaded the free version of VueScan
in order to use the scanner but I can't get it to see
the scanner through the firewall.  If I do

    systemctl stop firewalld.service

then VueScan sees and controls the scanner. I wrote
the author of VueScan and he said:

    You need to configure the firewall so it lets
    VueScan communicate with the scanner through
    the firewall.  It's using mDNS UDP packets.

In the iptables -L  output I see several lines that look like

       ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251             udp dpt:mdns ctstate NEW

Not sure what to do next.  I'm not too familiar with
firewall rules.  I'm running Fedora 18.

Sherman