OT: procmailrc question

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Wed Jan 8 06:08:56 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 03:38:50PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 07Jan2014 22:04, Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
> > I am new to making my own procmail recipes and am a bit stumped with
> > this one.
> >
> > I use sylfilter as my spam-filtering tool: this tool is available at
> > http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/sylfilter/
> [...]
> > Being perhaps foolhardy, I have been trying to get syfilter to work
> > with procmail using my .procmailrc. I was trying to mimic the example
> > here:
> > http://www.math.tohoku.ac.jp/~kuroki/keijiban/procmailrc.txt
> >
> > However, the issue is that I do not quite see how to get this to work
> > because unlike bogofilter, sylfilter does not add anything to the
> > header. If it returns a value 0, the mail  is classified as junk,
> [...]
> > (which the user does not see):
> > Return values:
> >   0   junk (spam)
>
> As you say, it does not modify the email.
>
> Instead, you want a recipe shaped like this one:
>
>   # Get rid of duplicates
>   :0 Whc: .msgid.lock
>   | formail -D 16384 .msgid.cache
>   :0 a
>   /dev/null
>
> This recipe discards duplicate emails, but by replacing the "formail" command
> with your "sylfilter" command you can have it discard (or file) junk email.
>
> Example (untested, needed adapting):
>
>   # Get rid of duplicates
>   :0 Wc
>   | sylfilter ...
>   :0 a
>   /dev/null

Dropping messages to /dev/null is dangerous. It's a good way to lose
legit mail that was misclassified. Better to create a spam directory and
put mail classified as spam in there. It's easy to skim thru that and
pick out any mail that was misclassified.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped