Accessing a Samsung galaxy mini from Fedora 20 via USB.

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 10:02:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>wrote:

> What you mean is that Android devices don't present themselves as a block
> device, i.e. we don't have access to either logical or physical sectors,
> therefore we can't load a partition table or even find file system
> superblocks. It's kinda like only being able to mount a share via NFS,
> rather than as iSCSI.

Correct, I meant as a block device. However MTP isn't even as capable as
NFS since it doesn't allow random access for writes (not sure about reads).
Files can only be written in their entirety or deleted. mtpfs and similar
interfaces try to make it look as filesystem-like as possible using
caching, but it's still important to keep this in mind.

poc