Stale /var/run/nologin

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Jan 9 00:34:34 UTC 2014

Rick Stevens writes:

> On 01/08/2014 04:29 AM, Sam Varshavchik issued this missive:
>
>> But if that's getting spuriously created, during a normal system state,
>> then something indeed must be creating it, in the wild.
>>
>> Not going to be easy tracking it down. Perusing journalctl's man page,
>> there doesn't seem to be a way to specify a time interval. Given
>> /run/nologin's timestamp, it should be possible to track down what was
>> started in that timeframe, but I do not see a way to specify a
>> timeframe. Furthermore, journalctl's output seems to consist of merely
>> log messages from systemd-started processes, rather than the actual log
>> of what was started, and when.
>
> 'journalctl --since=-600' will show all log messages for the last 600
> seconds (10 minutes). Or you can use

Except, as I explained, I am not looking for messages that were logged by
systemd-started processes, in some time interval. I am looking at what
exactly systemd started, during some time interval. Which is completely
different from whatever got logged by a systemd-started process.

At system boot, systemd fills the system console "Starting foo…" followed
by, at some time later "Started foo…". Several pages of that. Most of that
seems to be completely absent from the output of journalctl --since. Perusal
of the time intervals spanning the last couple of reboot cycles shows that
each reboot results in a grand total of one message: "Starting Default", and
even that is not reliable, and is missing from several boot cycles.

systemd's logging appears to be incomplete.