[SOLVED] installing akmod-nividia on F20 - machine hang after reboot, "Started Builds ..."

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 14:25:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> On 01/10/14 21:48, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > This is intentional as the akmod driver is really for people who are
> running non-standard kernels. If you are running the stock Fedora kernels
> then there is not a lot of benefit in running the akmod-... package than
> the kmod-... package.
>
> What are you talking about?

See below...

> I run the stock fedora kernel.  But I have nVidia hardware and the nouveau
> driver barfs on my hardware.  So, I need and I do have installed...
>
> akmod-nvidia-304xx
> akmods
> kmod-nvidia-304xx    for all the installed kernels
>
> The benefit is that with akmods installed the kmod packages will get
> rebuilt locally.  So if the rpmfusion repos don't have the latest kmod
> packages you can still update your kernel.

Yes, that is a benefit of the akmods package, but not necessarily the
intent, so back to the same answer, we don't require kernel-devel and
kernel-headers as part of the akmods package (not the akmod-nvidia) because
of the intent of the package. Even though akmods takes care of the heavy
lifting, you are still building packages which requires a certain level of
knowledge which isn't for everybody. You are expected to know you need the
proper kernel development packages (either from Fedora, or a custom kernel
build) and tools (gcc, etc.)

This explains it pretty well but perhaps it should be expanded a bit to
include what you should install:

http://rpmfusion.org/Packaging/KernelModules/Akmods

Richard