F20 has blurry font rendering

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri Jan 10 21:35:39 UTC 2014

Tim wrote:
> This looks like different fonts, or same font with different weights
> (bold vs normal).  Could be application-specific, or user-wide
> preferences.

You're looking at the same font, same font-size, same font-weight. :)

> They look almost the same, but perhaps with different aliasing
> (smoothing of edges).  Have you gone through the rendering preferences
> for screen fonts?  I seem to recall that the default settings seem to
> have changed over the years.

I use the Fedora defaults on my machines. I do not have any custom anti-alias
settings or hinting tweaks.

---

Your e-mail made me investigate again. Font rendering changes in freetype.

freetype 2.4.11 (F19): http://i.imgur.com/TiAaFzX.png
freetype 2.5.0  (F20): http://i.imgur.com/vyCUUUX.png

Both images are from a F20 box.