"liveusb-creator" versus "livecd-iso-to-disk"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jan 13 18:49:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   background: i'm teaching a linux admin class next week and i will be
> > supplied with laptops for the students that i've been asked *not* to
> > overwrite, so my plan is to create bootable *and writable* USB drives
> > for everyone. (the course will actually run on RHEL/centos 6.5 but i'm
> > assuming my question is still relevant.)
> >
> >   as i read it (and i could be totally misunderstanding what i'm
> > reading), "liveusb-creator" does *not* give me a writable system,
> > while "livecd-iso-to-disk" can, using the "--overlay-size-mb" option.
>
> I've found livecd-iso-to-disk very good.
> It enabled me to put CentOS, Fedora and Windows XP last week
> on my HP MicroServer with no CD reader.
> On the other hand liveusb-creator failed with 2, maybe all 3, of these.
>
> But I don't know what you mean by "writable".
> All the USB sticks I have are writable.
>
> I'm assuming you are talking of USB Flash Drives?

  what i meant was that i want the bootable images to have persistent
storage, as the students will be playing with the systems, changing
config files, installing new packages and so on, and i want those
changes to persist across reboots. that's what i assume the
"--overlay-size-mb" option represents, no?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca