pata disc / sata host converters

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:12:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm looking at a motherboard update and have apparently left it too
long: it's hard to find new MBs that have PATA connectors (there are a
few, but choice is pretty limited). The hard drives for this machine
are SATA, but the optical drives are PATA. There are a few PATA to
SATA converters which basically plug onto the back of the drive and
provide a SATA connection. Anyone tried these and found any issues in
Linux?

It's not too dear to buy new optical drives, but I've got two and it
seems a bit wasteful to throw them out when they in good condition.
(Actually, given how cheap new ones are I wonder if they're better
quality anyway.)

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk