"liveusb-creator" versus "livecd-iso-to-disk"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jan 14 13:56:44 UTC 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014, Tim wrote:

> jdow:
> >> If students are involved I'd be inclined to find a fairly ironclad
> >> method of preventing access to the Windows disks. Otherwise, students
> >> being students, they will start unauthorized prying around on the
> >> attached Windows install and potentially corrupt it badly.
>
> Joe Zeff:
> > Indeed.  My suggestion would be to list that partition in /etc/fstab as
> > ro and limit sudo access to specific programs, not including any form of
> > mount.  And, password protect the CMOS or equivalent, to keep them from
> > booting from a USB key.
>
> I'd be inclined to *not* mount the Windows partitions, and prevent auto
> mounting, unless they actually required access to them.

  i'm not going to worry overly about the underlying windows install
-- as i mentioned, i was *asked* if i could avoid overwriting the
windows that's already on the laptops, so it's not a big deal if that
happens. they're all training laptops so they're used to being
reimaged on a regular basis, it's just easier if i can avoid it.

  more in a bit ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca