what's the point of filing bugs against Fedora?

pgaltieri . pgaltieri at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 17:24:00 UTC 2014

I'm asking this question out of frustration.  What's the point of filing
bugs against Fedora at bugzilla.redhat.com when the response I get is "ask
up stream they can help you"?

I filed a bug (1040518) against the Mate desktop, and was told to ask
upstream for help because they can help me.  I don't understand this.  I
installed Mate from the Fedora DVD and I therefore expect the Fedora
engineers to act as buffer between me and upstream.  It should be their
responsibility to work with the Mate engineers, not mine.

I've done tech support for Linux for many years.  Do you know how long I
would have lasted if I told one of my customers "Oh, it's a kernel bug, go
ask Linus I'm sure he can help you" ?  I guarantee you not very long.  It
was my responsibility to work with whoever I needed to to fix the
customer's problem, but the customer dealt with me until the problem was
fixed.

OK, rant now over, you can return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Paolo