what's the point of filing bugs against Fedora?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Tue Jan 14 17:57:17 UTC 2014

> I filed a bug (1040518) against the Mate desktop, and was told to ask
> upstream for help because they can help me.  I don't understand this.  I
> installed Mate from the Fedora DVD and I therefore expect the Fedora
> engineers to act as buffer between me and upstream.  It should be their
> responsibility to work with the Mate engineers, not mine.

FOSS bug triaging is a slow, time-consuming process that relies on
interested VOLUNTEERS.

Someone has triaged your bug report, and advised you of the best place
to obtain support from the actual developers. Take the advice and report
the bug where the developers are most likely to see your report and respond.

It is not always clear where the best place to report a particular bug
is. Luckily, someone has taken the time to tell you.

The fedora bugzilla is generally best for packaging issues (e.g.,
missing dependencies, version X of foo broke version Y of bar). Upstream
bugzillas are better for reports of program flaws.

> I've done tech support for Linux for many years.  Do you know how long I
> would have lasted if I told one of my customers

You aren't a Fedora customer. You are a Fedora user.

- Mike