what's the point of filing bugs against Fedora?

Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 18:19:54 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> If the bug is a packaging or dependency related bug, then use RHBZ. If it's
> a feature request, or broken feature that surely would affect every distro's
> instance of that component, then file it upstream. Often the Fedora package
> maintainer literally just makes sure the packaging is done correctly for
> Fedora.

True, but equally the package often comes with a bunch of
Fedora-specific modifications. The end user has no way of knowing if
it's a bug in the base package or in the Fedora supplied patches.
Plus, my experience of reporting bugs upstream has invariably been to
be told "don't use the Fedora package, try compiling our latest
version from source and report back if you still have problems with
that". That's a poor experience for most end users.

Tet

--
"Java is a DSL for taking large XML files and converting them to stack
traces" -- Bulat Shakirzyanov